Monday, April 21, 2008

I Heart 5S

March 19, 2008

My friend Lyra mentioned to me that today is their cleaning day at work. I love 5S!

Apart from fancying all things and food Japanese, I admire them for coming up with this concept of organizing things and making your space conducive to working.


My workstation at USW

First let's go back a bit to what 5S means:

Seiri (整理): Sorting. Keeping only essential items. Everything else is stored or discarded.

Seiton (整頓): Simplifying. Arranging things in an order so that one can work freely.

Seisō (清掃): Sweeping or shining. This is self-explanatory.

Seiketsu (清潔): Standardizing or systematizing cleanliness.

Shitsuke (躾): Sustaining or maintaining the cleanliness of things.

Given that knowledge, that sense of obsession compulsion has been ingrained in me ever since I was in high school. Even until now in my workstation here in the office, I am always reminded of the belief that "a clean office is a happy office".

In movies and television, good examples of a posh and clean workplace are

Miranda Priestly's office in The Devil Wears Prada,



and the Meade Publications office in Ugly Betty.


Note to self: I should've really really pursued a career in the fashion magazine industry.

Now here's one more very neat and interesting office of a famous person.


This is the office of Martha Stewart in New York.

That's why we call her the maven of good housekeeping!

No comments: