Monday, April 21, 2008

Grammy Awards 2008

February 15, 2008

I haven't really seen the entire coverage of the 2008 Grammy Awards. Settling with videos of performances on YouTube, I can safely say this year has got the music industry's vamps! Beyonce singing with the legendary Tina Turner, Amy Winehouse via satellite from London, Alicia Keys side by side with John Mayer. I just loved their performances. I don't fancy Rihanna and Kanye West that much.

But with the awards won by Amy Winehouse, veteran singer Natalie Cole seemed to disapprove of it saying in People.com that Winehouse sets a bad example to the public and must not be rewarded with such recognition considering her personal issues with addiction. And to this, I humbly beg to agree. It's not only the ability or talent that is being showcased. The audience or listening public, especially the youth, often emulate the character of the artist.

Still, if only for the aspect of capability, Amy Winehouse rocks! I love her songs "Rehab," "You Know I'm No Good," and "Tears Dry on Their Own." Her genre is a different kind, pop crossing over to soul, or vice versa.

No comments: