Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Paul Potts

I am beginning to love opera because of Paul Potts and Nessun Dorma. First you have to see this.



Paul Potts, a phone salesman from Bristol, England, joined Britain's Got Talent in 2007. It was the first season of the competition and Simon Cowell was one of the judges. Back in school, Potts was often bullied by schoolmates that he became an introvert and developed shyness in his adult years. During his audition in Cardiff, Wales on June 9, his rendition of an operatic aria entitled "Nessun Dorma" composed by Italian Giacomo Puccini brought thousands of audience in awe of his prowess. To me, it was such a jaw-dropping performance. This led him to garner the highest count of public votes.

So in June 19, 2007, performing the same piece, Paul Robert Potts became the winner of the first series of Britain's Got Talent.



It was Potts' adrenal tumor, surgery, bicycle accident, and financial difficulties that led him to join the singing contest in England. With his £35 Tesco suit, he set foot on stage for his audition, and with Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden, and Piers Morgan never imagining that they were already judging their victorious tenor. Potts' audition performance earned 32,200,000 views on YouTube.

Nessun Dorma, "none shall sleep tonight" in English, was composed for the final act of an opera entitled "Turandot". Famous opera singers have interpreted this song, such as Luciano Pavarotti and Placido Domingo. I also heard this in the ending of the romance comedy "The Mirror Has Two Faces" starring Barbra Streisand and Jeff Bridges.


Now the great news is that Paul Potts is performing here on October 8 at the PICC Plenary Hall. My instincts are egging me to watch him but we'll see about that because just look at the prices.

Ticket Prices:
P4120.00
P3605.00
P2575.00
P1236.00
P772.50

Nevertheless, I am glad I found out about an extraordinary singing wonder. Paul Potts perhaps has changed the way I look at opera and a little more about life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are beginning to love opera. I would be interested to know what operas you have seen - live or on DVD - and which you particularly like

jepayuki said...

Hi gert, thanks for dropping by my site. Paul Potts' concerto would probably be the first live opera I would see. The Nessun Dorma had me when I first heard him perform it. I'm also planning to get DVDs of Andrea Bocelli, and I also like Charlotte Church's performance of "The Prayer" with Josh Groban.