Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Movie Rewind: Someone Like You

Yesterday while my son took his afternoon nap, I had a nagging urge to flip through my old videos and see what I can interest myself with until I found one of my favorite classic romantic comedies that tackled the men-women psychology, that sort of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus kind of flick.

The movie Someone Like You of 2001 may have inspired me to write my own immortal Neanderthal Theory article which was published in February 2002. This treasured movie of mine is the story of Jane Goodale, about the one that got away and the one she never saw coming. Very real but also very hopeful when it comes to the plot. Ashley Judd and Hugh Jackman are sorely missed!


The story was what got me from the start. Before I sat down to write my article of long ago, I went all out to figure the inevitable distinction between man and woman, and the disparity between our actions and how our brain functions. It can be likened to Jane's character as she sought justification of what happened to her. Greatly convinced that men are like cows, she pushed her limits into over-analyzing the opposite sexes' behavior and mating habits. The movie was successful in portraying these stages of animal and male behavior, starting with the "presentation of the new cow" to the "attraction" and "establishment of intimacy". Not to be left out, however, is the "painful death of the new cow" also known as the "bitter end of a relationship." In fact, as it would be seen in the movie, a survey done on men shows that 95% are polygamous, and that only 5% are otherwise.

Anyway, back to the movie in general. I just hope for more romantic comedies like this to come. Everytime I see this movie, and I never get tired of replaying it once in a while, it kind of really puts me in my element of blabbering and blurting a lot when it comes to relationships. Enough said. =P

No comments: