Monday, August 11, 2008

All Things Beijing

While we are savoring historic moments on television because of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, let me just blurt my deep awe and amazement at that opening ceremonies they held last August 8 at 8:08 in the evening, more specifically the full spectacle of lighting of the torch. It had a very creative concept of depicting the glory in sports and it was successfully shown in that event.



Li Ning, famous Chinese gymnast, was the final Olympic torch bearer, he was hung very high and circled the "Bird's Nest" to complete the final meters leading to the lighting of the torch. This is I think the most memorable torch-lighting ceremony I would remember for many years to come.



However, the biggest highlight in the entire Olympics for me would be the Beijing National Stadium which is a massive and radiant piece of architecture. Many see its shape and appearance as resembling a "bird's nest".



And last Saturday, while we were discussing the beautifully-held ceremonies in Beijing, my sister and I saw this inlay text around the Coke packaging at Luk Yuen.



Now I wonder what my name stands for in Mandarin.

No comments: