Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ellen's Happiest Day

Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi looked stunningly beautiful and happy in their pink and white wedding ensemble. I saw Ellen's captivating monologue and wedding footage in the second episode of her show in a new season, in her new studio, and as the new Mrs. Degeneres. No judgement here in this site. I am happy for Ellen and Portia in that the whole world can see how love really prevails and succeeds.

Ellen's opening monologue on her wedding was so hilarious, too good to pass up. Watch.



And here's the wedding footage where you see both their moms and how they've prepared for their special day.



Did you hear the song that was playing in the wedding footage and was sung in front of Ellen and Portia? The couple apparently asked alternative artist Joshua Radin to perform the song "Today" in their intimate wedding. They chose a good song to be their wedding song.


McCain objects to same sex marriages

To backtrack a bit, in May of this year, Republican presidential nominee John McCain guested on the Ellen show albeit their interview made for an exciting debate on a sensitive issue. After the California Supreme Court has legalized same sex marriages, McCain has issued a statement saying that he "doesn't believe the judges should be making decisions such as these."

Anyway, here is the transcript of that interview which made Ellen put McCain on the tight spot.

DEGENERES: We're back with Senator John McCain, and so let's talk about it. Let's talk about the big elephant in the room. So -- by the way, I was planning on having a ceremony anyway this summer, even though it wasn't legal. But I feel that at least I get to celebrate my love. Then it just so happened that I legally now can get married, like everyone should.

McCAIN: And I saw where someone even registered you.


DEGENERES: Someone -- yeah, illegally registered me. So I'm obviously excited. And to me, this is only fair and only natural. And what are your thoughts?

JOHN McCAIN: Well, my thoughts are that I think that people should be able to enter into legal agreements, and I think that that is something that we should encourage, particularly in the case of insurance and other areas, decisions that have to be made. I just believe in the unique status of marriage between man and woman. And I know that we have a respectful disagreement on that issue.

DEGENERES: Yeah, I mean, I think that it's -- it is looked at -- and some people are saying the same -- that blacks and women did not have the right to vote. I mean, women just got the right to vote in 1920. Blacks didn't have the right to vote until 1870. And it just feels like there is this old way of thinking that we are not all the same. We are all the same people, all of us. You're no different than I am. Our love is the same.

To me -- to me, what it feels like -- just, you know, I will speak for myself -- it feels -- when someone says, "You can have a contract, and you'll still have insurance, and you'll get all that," it sounds to me like saying, "Well, you can sit there; you just can't sit there." That's what it sounds like to me. It feels like -- it doesn't feel inclusive...It feels -- it feels isolated. It feels like we are not -- you know, we aren't owed the same things and the same wording.

McCAIN: Well, I've heard you articulate that position in a very eloquent fashion. We just have a disagreement. And I, along with many, many others, wish you every happiness.

DEGENERES: Thank you. So you'll walk me down the aisle? Is that what you're saying?

McCAIN: Touche.

DEGENERES: Well, my hope is someday it won't be called a contract; it will be called marriage.

I was just so fascinated with Ellen and how she was able to stand firm on her right to legally wed her partner.  Beyond color, race, culture, love should flourish. After all, that was exactly what Ellen only wanted from the beginning wasn't it?

No comments: