Thursday, September 18, 2008

Amazing Celine, Amazing Charice

The first few songs I heard by Celine Dion back when I was a college freshman were If You Asked Me To and Nothing Broken But My Heart, culled from her first album.  I knew then that she had a great voice that was going to take her to instant popularity.  And boy did it all happen to her.  After years and years of concerts and recording albums, she married her manager Rene Angelil and went on a hiatus.  She is now back to promote her newest album Taking Chances via a world tour.

Meanwhile, here's my own tribute to Celine. Her voice, enchanting. Her songs, glaring with emotion and she really projects well. Her music, just the right kind of pop jazz for me. 

"If You Asked Me To"


"Nothing Broken But My Heart"


Prior to her concert at the Madison Square Garden last September 15, Celine watched an  amazing journey of a 12-year old girl from the Philippines named Charice Pempengco, as she was phone-patched in an interview with Oprah Winfrey.  I did not miss this show and watched the full 30-minute segment with Charice, how she vowed to protect her mother from her father's violence and their family's struggles.  Oprah sent her crew to the Philippines and went back to the roots of Charice as she toured the crew to her native town.  Oprah really dedicated her episode to this young girl and her impending career.  Towards the end of the live conversation, Celine invited Charice to sing with her when she stages her concert at the Madison Square Garden.  


I am posting this bit from the recent concert of Celine with Charice singing Because You Loved Me. Notice how Celine made Charice shine as she left the girl to sing and conquer the stage and the world with the magic of her voice.  I just loved Celine for doing this to Charice, she is truly kind.  This video made me cry by the way, definitely a YouTube moment, and a one-Kleenex affair.



Another Filipino and her feat, I feel so Pinoy today!

2 comments:

eye in the sky said...

And Charice's voice booming loud and confident against Ms. Dion's is amazing! Makes one proud to be Pinoy. Gosh! that's the Madison Square>

jepayuki said...

Yep the crowd is just massive!