Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tim Gunn's Guide to Style

I took the day off yesterday due to my yet unconfirmed positional vertigo (a.k.a. dizziness). And so I channelled couch potato the whole day.

Tim Gunn's Guide to Style was on ETC so off I went to watching it. This is another reality show that aims to answer the fashion emergencies of ordinary people in America.


Nicole Appelman, 29, is a mother of two boys, and a school teacher. Tim Gunn and his assistant Veronica Webb helped Nicole to bring her to a fashion epiphany. They did this by first making a list of all the fashion staples according to her age and lifestyle, and then submitting her to the fashion and personality development guru Laura Bennett and lastly, bringing her to famous designer Douglas Hannant.

I felt for Nicole and her struggle to boost her self-esteem and be the fashionable person she once were. In fact, Laura Bennett made Nicole list down the things she would like to do but feels guilty doing because of her responsibilities as a mom.

Concluding the episode was a fashion show of Nicole donning her new wardrobe and surprise gifts from Tim Gunn and Laura Bennett with the presence of Nicole's loved ones on the mini runway show.

Now here's my take-away from the show. I know that a woman has to carry at least these essentials or must-haves in her wardrobe and so I took down some pointers from Tim Gunn.


Clockwise from the top: a good pair of jeans to wear even on dinner dates, this is the style of dress I absolutely love: a Diane von Furstenberg basic black wrap dress, the crisp white shirt of course, a stunning red (or any other solid color) cocktail dress, and a plain cardigan to add a little texture to the shirts.

The more plain and basic it is, the better. Yes, less is more indeed.

No comments: