Monday, May 5, 2008

The 5 Things I Used To Be


1. .....a Desktop Publisher & Graphic Designer.
My first employer was a marketing services company that does non-traditional advertising such as lighted sign boxes, mobile ads, public relations kits, and computer graphics presentations. These were the primary products of the company. I remember making a set of trainer and trainee manuals for our client Leader Price-Franprix, a supermarket chain based in France owned by the late Reginald Lewis. Lewis' Filipina wife Loida assumed ownership and management of TLC Beatrice Holdings, the largest African American company in the United States. Executing and designing the manuals in the training package was a major achievement in my four-year stint.

2. .....a grand finalist for two consecutive years in a company-wide singing competition.
This was truly the height of my yuppie years. After emerging as a weekly finalist one Friday night, I was a bit shocked to see our company officers grace the event. They invited me together with my friends to head to another company gathering nearby. Our company president harangued me into belting out my song entry in front of an equally big crowd.

3. .....a swimming medalist in this same company.
In 1998, a mini-olympics was held and I bested my colleagues in a swim and sink event. Two medals are in my "nostalgia box" as we speak and if there was anyone who would ask me what my favorite sport is, I would have to always answer that with "just swimming, only swimming".

4. .....a Human Resources Manager three years ago.
I would like to think that I did not have a hard time carrying out this responsibility because for one, I love interacting and being with people. My boss perhaps saw that extrovertive quality in me. Hence, the people-oriented position.

5. .....a measely 115 pounds of svelte outline and grace.
Lizza and I were regulars on the dance floor when it came to company shows. In fact, we were the Uptown Girls sashaying the ramp in a bon voyage party held last 2001. I was acclaimed as the Janet Jackson of the company, and was actually awarded best dressed as an Afro-American icon! Ho-hum, those were really the days.

No comments: