Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My Chick Fix


I started reading chick literature last year. If I recall correctly, I was going through novel titles in a bookstore one day and was captivated by the look of a dainty colorful paperback that printed a description of who I also was: a self-confessed shopaholic! Sophie Kinsella has done a wonderful job in delighting lovers of chick literature. I have read most of the offerings in the Shopaholic series, treading the very steps of Becky Bloomwood since Confessions of A Shopaholic, and then Shopaholic Takes Manhattan to Shopaholic & Baby which is my current reading duty. The writer has always been very effective in using her style in this genre. Now I just can't wait to finish reading her latest novel and post a review of sorts.

Another novel I read was Devil Wears Prada written by Lauren Weisberger. Of course, visuals are way better for me. The movie adaptation was very stylish indeed, literally and figuratively. Its characters Meryll Streep and Anne Hathaway excellently played their roles as the devilish boss and her dear assistant, respectively.

I think this is the genre I feel most secure about my writing prowess. Even before chick lit was conceived and propagated in the tradition of Sex and the City, I remember I wrote an article in the Valentine issue of Manila Bulletin about the neanderthal theory of men. I guess this somewhat opened my interest in female-oriented literature.

No comments: