Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Carrie's Prologue

As I am a fan of well-written monologues in films, I transcribed Carrie's opening lines in Sex And The City. The video clip below accompanies this spiel.


"Year after year, twenty-something women come to New York City in search of the two L’s: labels and love. Twenty years ago, I was one of them.

Having gotten the knack for labels early, I concentrated on my search for love. Turns out, a knock-off is not as easy to spot when it comes to love…..until it is. That is why you need help to spot them. Lots of help. Help also known as Charlotte York, Miranda Hobbes and Samantha Jones.

My name is Carrie Bradshaw and I’m a writer. Year after year, my single girlfriends were my salvation. And as it turns out, my meal ticket.

Charlotte was looking for the perfect love. Well, almost perfect. So, Charlotte and Harry journeyed to China and back for their daughter Lily.

Miranda was a disciple of tough love. And Miranda journeyed to Brooklyn for Brady and Steve.

Samantha’s love was sex. Lots of sex. And then she found a man that combined sex and love. So Samantha journeyed to Hollywood with television star Smith Jerrod.

As for me, I was looking for something big…..Mr. Big. Turns out, when that big love comes along, it’s not always easy. And despite all the other chapters of my life, no one was ever quite big enough until.....`Carrie you’re the one.' And just like that, I was.

Three books and three years later, we still feel like those four single girls. And even though time has moved us on, I managed to stay exactly where I was.....in love.



Michael Patrick King is such genius!

No comments: