Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What's that sound?


Not that I want to be an Alexandra Patsavas (music supervisor of Grey's Anatomy), but since I consider myself to be an uber music disciple, I have found that there is more to sound in its technical aspect. I regularly update the songs or audio files in my iPod, and then one day I thought it would be nice to familiarize myself with these acronyms I encounter in my field.

Many file extensions came about in this generation of "everything digital." Now what do these stand for? For the sake of awareness, here are some of the most common technical terms in sound:

AVI - audio video interleave

AAC - advanced audio coding

AMR - adaptive multi-rate

WAV - wave / waveform audio format

WMA - windows media audio

MP3 - mpeg audio layer 3

MPEG - motion (moving) picture experts group


There you go. Now enjoy that sound.

No comments: